03/12/2016, M4.1 event near Ojai
- 12 Mar 2016 00:42:40 PST, (34.527, -119.073), depth 19.8km, 18km ENE of Ojai, California
- Aftershocks: so far (12 Mar 2016, 02:22PM PST) there have been 10 aftershocks recorded, the largest M2.6. More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- There was 1 event during the 3 days prior to the earthquake (within a 1 km radius), M3.3 (2016/03/12).
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 1 event of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event: M4.0 on 12 Jun 1984.
- Nearby faults: Santa Ynez fault zone, eastern section (1.5 km), Pine Mountain fault (4.8 km), San Cayetano fault (9.6 km), Sisar fault zone (Sisar fault) (10.7 km), Sisar fault (10.8 km), Cobblestone Mountain fault (11.2 km), Sisar fault zone (Big Canyon fault) (11.9 km), Lion Canyon fault (11.9 km), Mission Ridge fault system, Santa Ana section (Santa Ana fault) (12.3 km) and faults of Orcutt and Timber Canyons (Orcutt fault) (14.2 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.