07/07/2016, M3.8 event near Brawley
- 07 Jul 2016 05:55:24 PDT, (32.912, -115.535), depth 11.1km, 7km S of Brawley, California
- Aftershocks: so far (08 Jul 2016, 03:18PM PDT) there have been 19 aftershocks recorded, M2.1. More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 45 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M5.8 (1979/10/16) and the most recent was M4.3 on 26 Aug 2012.
- Nearby faults: Imperial fault (0.5 km), Brawley seismic zone (Brawley fault zone) (5.1 km), Brawley seismic zone (6.3 km), San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Wienert fault) (11.2 km) and San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Superstition Hills flt) (11.8 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.