Last updated October 24th, 2017
- 01 Mar 2017 12:18:39 PST, (33.135, -115.862), depth 11.5km, 20km SSE of Salton City, California
- Aftershocks: so far (01 Mar 2017, 12:38PM PST) there has been 1 aftershock recorded, M2.3. More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 29 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M6.6 (1987/11/24) and the most recent was M4.1 on 19 Jul 1991.
- Nearby faults: San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Kane Spring fault) (3.4 km), San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (5.1 km)
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.
Below is the waveform data associated with this event as recorded in our Live Seismograms Feed