Last updated October 24th, 2017
- 16 May 2017 21:42:25 PDT, (34.420, -120.002), depth 2.2km, 13km W of Isla Vista, California
- Aftershocks: so far (17 May 2017, 08:29AM PDT) there have been 6 aftershocks recorded, the largest M3.0 (smallest M1.8). More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 3 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M4.8 (2013/05/29) and the most recent was M4.8 on 29 May 2013.
- Nearby faults: Glen Annie fault (8.6 km), Mission Ridge fault system, More Ranch section (More Ranch fault) (9.8 km), San Pedro fault (13.9 km), Santa Ynez fault zone, western section (14.0 km) and San Jose fault (14.6 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI, waveforms.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.
Below are the waveform data associated with this event, as recorded in our Live Seismograms Feed. The closest station shown here is CI.SYP, approximately 12 km from the epicenter, and CI.LCP, approximately 43 km from the epicenter.