Last updated October 4th, 2019
- 26 Jul 2017 12:43:57 PDT, (33.165, -115.647), depth 3.3km, 13km WNW of Calipatria, California
- Aftershocks: so far (03 Aug 2017, 09:03AM PDT) there have been 15 aftershocks recorded, the largest M2.2 (smallest M1.1). More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- There were 8 events during the 3 days prior to the earthquake (within a 15 km radius), the largest was M3.3 (2017/07/26).
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 44 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M5.8 (1945/08/15) and the most recent was M4.1 on 21 May 2015.
- Nearby faults: San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Lone Tree fault) (14.2 km) and San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Superstition Hills flt) (14.9 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI, waveforms.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.