Last updated October 4th, 2019
- 24 Oct 2017 00:00:51 PDT, (33.173, -118.722), depth 4.8km (fixed), 19km NW of San Clemente Is.
- Aftershocks: so far there have been no aftershocks recorded. Some may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 1 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest and most recent was M4.1 on 21 Oct 1932.
- Nearby faults: San Clemente fault zone (San Clemente fault) (3.5 km) and Santa Cruz_Santa Catalina Ridge fault zone (21.7 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI, waveforms.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.
Below are the waveform data associated with this event, as recorded in our Live Seismograms Feed. The closest stations represented in this display are CI.RPV and CI.DJJ at 70km and 107km away from the epicenter.